Friday, June 6, 2014

QR Codes = Everlasting Life

I have had several people ask my what that funny looking black square is that is in my header image (above ^ ) Some people have even suggested that I remove that to "clean up" my blog header...

I think if maybe I share with everyone what that code is and my purpose for it, it may change a few minds - and maybe even convince some of you, my amazing quilty friends, to start using them also!

What is a QR Code?


Back in October 2013 when I first found my love of quilting, one of the first quilt artists I discovered was Jaybird Quilts. She is probably the cause of my hexie addiction - but that is a whole other story! Anyway, her very first pattern I ever "clicked" on while at her blog was Science Fair.


I had found this post about Science Fair and I was currently designing a quilt for my mom... At the same time I was taking a beginner quilting class from the amazing Marija Vujcic (Fabric Of My Life). The very next day in class, Marija was discussing labels on quilts and the purpose of labels. She also discussed the many types of labels and as soon as she mentioned "Some people even print their own labels" - I knew what I wanted to do!

I wanted to print my own labels! And then I thought about that QR code for Science Fair... And I realized, "Hey! If I print my own labels, I can include a link to my Facebook page so people can see pictures of a quilt while I was making it!"


This image above was the label on my very first ever completed quilt - a turtle rag quilt... So far, every single item I have completed to date has gotten a label on it which will forever link it to my Facebook page...

This, of course, was before I started my blog! When I started my blog about six weeks ago (April 29, 2014) - I began realizing, I can do something even BETTER than just link my work to images - I can actually create a CUSTOM QR Code for each project and I can forever link them to a blog post specifically about that project!

So there it is! That is why my header has a QR code in it - that QR code will take you to my Facebook page... But all projects that will be completed from now going forward will be linked to my blog - specifically to it's own "creation story". I am now forever giving every project I complete Everlasting Life!

I would LOVE to start a trend of quilters doing this! We live in a digital age and it's only getting more digital as time goes on! So while you may not have your own smart phone, you can bet that people seeing your work may have one - or know someone with one... I often will pull out my phone and scan random QR Codes that I see just out of curiosity! So people will also do this when they see the code on a quilt... What an amazing way to learn more about that quilt! Right!?

Tell me your thoughts! Share my idea! Send people to read this and ask them to do the same! And then ask them to give me props for starting a linking trend between our work and the stories behind our work!

Until next time my quilty friends ~ PIECE!

Marcia }|{


11 comments:

  1. Marcia - I have to admit that I have been thinking about using QR codes myself, but in a completely different way! I have an opportunity to display my quilts at a local festival in October. I thought I would create nice tags for them with QR codes linking the person to my Etsy account (if the quilt is for sale)! Ha! :) Anyway, I do like being able to share photos of the creation process with the person who gets the quilt, and having a QR code that takes them to a blog post about the quilt is pretty neat. I also came across this quilt a while ago that is too cute not to share: http://handmadewhimzy.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-quilty-finish-qr-bar-code-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linking to an Etsy account would work also - however, after the quilt sold then that link will forever be on that quilt (unless you used a removable tag). So maybe you could do both in that instance... Use one removable one for the sale of the item - and then another for the creation story of the quilt.

      I hadn't thought about using the code to sell my items! But I like your idea!

      Delete
  2. Love it! My husband usually checks out QR codes; I'm too lazy lol.

    I've been wondering what to do for quilt labels as I have been bad and haven't labelled any of my quilts at all (which I want to do because I would like to start selling them eventually...). Now you've got me thinking if my labels should just be the QR code -- I wouldn't necessarily make it a link, but I could put on the name/date of the quilt, a message if applicable. Then on all of my quilts they would all be small/unobtrusive, the same size hmmmmm. I need to actually print a label for a quilt (the one and only) because it's a birthday present and I found this amazing dinosaur print with a speech bubble that was perfect for my friend (as its also a dinosaur quilt) so maybe I'll put a QR code on there to try it out ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! And share some pics with me! I would love to know how it goes... And let me know if you have any questions about the best way to print your own label - I will gladly share my process!

      Delete
    2. My question for my hop post (for July) is actually about labelling quilts, so I'm editing my post to add a link to here as part of that little discussion! (Yes, I've already written up my hop post lol).

      Delete
  3. Brilliant idea, now stolen...Thanks! I'm gonna do it, too! I already have a QR code on my business card linking people to my blog, but I love the idea of including it on quilt labels. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcia I love this idea! I've used QR codes in my previous job for marketing purposes but who would've thought to use them in this way, well, besides you! LOL
    Can you tell me how you print your labels? I would love to add personalized labels to my quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned! I have had a couple people ask me about how I print my labels - I plan on doing a tutorial on them soon...

      Delete
  5. VERY cool idea. Fascinating! I might have to get a smart phone........

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a super awesome idea! I love the idea of a QR code for each quilt. Printed on the tag makes it even better! I'm definitely going to look into this for the next time I have a free minute (someday, right? it's gotta happen some day). So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's a fab idea - I have no idea how to generate a QR code though! Or how to read one...

    ReplyDelete